Scientific Bio-Minds agriculture genomic specialists is providing powerful tools to address the need to develop crop strains that can support increased food production while resisting pests and disease and reducing the environmental footprint, in terms of toxic chemicals and carbon emissions,of traditional farming.
The use of genomics for crop improvement promises to increase quality and yield of crops while using less fertilizer, pesticides and water. DNA tests based on the genome sequences of plants are making the selective breeding process more targeted and two to three times faster. In certain cases, genetic modification is creating
plant strains with new properties that improve productivity and nutritional value.
- Sequencing for SNP discovery
- Bioinformatics to select the best SNPs for genome wide association studies
- Identification of quantitative trait loci (QTL)
- Build high or medium density SNP arrays to create genomic models
- Build low density arrays and panels for marker assisted selection
- Use diagnostic tools to identify resistant or susceptible lines